Tradesperson working at grinding metal in a workshop

Tradesperson Insurance

The right insurance for the job, every time.


Working as a skilled tradesperson brings with it a unique combination of risks - not only to your own health and safety but enhanced risks to your employees and to you as a business owner. 

Digney Grant specialises in finding the right package of insurance to cover every eventuality your business might face, giving you the peace of mind to focus on what you do best. 

What is skilled tradesman or contractor's insurance? 

Typically tradesperson or contractor insurance will be made up of a range of bespoke insurance products including:

  • Employer's Liability
  • Public & Products Liability
  • Contract Works
  • Plant, machinery and equipment cover
  • Hired in Plant/Tools/Site Huts
  • Commercial Vehicle Insurance
  • Professional Indemnity
  • Non-negligence covers
  • Bonds

We can also offer Trade Credit Insurance which can cover the risk of late or failed payment from companies you are contracted to. Read more about our Trade Credit Insurance offering here.

Who needs Skilled Contractor Insurance?

Tradesman, tradesperson or contractor insurance is used by a huge variety of skilled tradesmen, including but not limited to:

  • Plumbers
  • Electricians
  • Joiners
  • Roofers
  • Gas Installers / Heating Engineers
  • Bricklayers, plasterers and roofers

Do I need contractor or tradesman insurance? 

All businesses offering professional services to other businesses or members of the public should have some level of insurance cover such as public or professional liability in place.

If your work causes injury, harm or loss to your client or a member of the public, these parties can pursue you legally for their losses. Without adequate insurance in place, these costs will need to be fulfilled by you personally and being unable to pay them could result in your business being declared bankrupt or even criminal action being taken against you. 

There is no specific legal requirement for professional indemnity insurance but not having it in place will mean you're unlikely to be hired by businesses and it will be damaging to your reputation as a trustworthy tradesperson.

Some representative bodies or trade associations will require proper insurance to be in place in order to maintain your accreditation. 

Legally, if you employ anyone you MUST have employer's liability insurance. To not have this in place is an offence. 


Why choose Digney Grant for Contractors' Insurance? 

We have been established in Newry for over 40 years and have the privilege of being trusted by multiple generations of tradesmen operating across Northern Ireland and beyond. 

We understand the very specific regulatory framework tradespeople in Northern Ireland work within and have many years of experience in covering cross-border risks. 

We are part of ABL Group, Northern Ireland's leading commercial insurance broker and risk advisory. We are also part of GRP Group, an international conglomerate of insurance intermediaries with links to the London insurance markets and access to an exclusive panel of insurers and products our competitors cannot offer. 

In summary, we combine the personal touch and local knowledge of a small brokerage with the buying power and wider experience of a national insurance provider to find you the best cover for your business. 

Call our Tradesperson Insurance team today

Tradesperson + Contractor Insurance Enquiry

Let us know your details and the date you need your insurance cover to begin or renew and a member of our team will be in touch with you shortly.